Monday, October 7, 2013

Sleepy Hollow
Episodes 3 “For the Triumph of Evil” & 4 “The Lesser Key of Solomon”
(Quickie thoughts)
The past two weeks have been a serious improvement for Sleepy Hollow. Not that it wasn’t fun before, but there were issues that I’ve already rambled about.  The plot is still moving at a ridiculous speed, but now we’re getting some time to sink in and learn about the world and the characters. What is lacking a bit is a coherent mythology, but there is definitely more focus and not just rambling off in a hundred directions so I think it’ll get there. They do need to fix the problem of the big bad having bit of a case of The Stupids.

Spoilers after the cut...

I loved last week’s episode a bit more than this week. Even though we introduced some super cool plotty things tonight, they had their foot on the gas and sort of skimmed over some stuff. Jenny is awesome. I love this character. I was really excited that she showed up so quickly last week and even more excited that she’s not just a babbling crazy, but a full player in the game. I would’ve liked a couple episodes of her running around Sleepy Hollow engaging in clandestine activities, but this is a 13 episodes season (I’m pretty sure?) so I understand that they want to get to her being part of the team.


The dynamic between the Mills sisters and Ichabod was pretty awesome as well. He’s fallen a bit into an older sibling role. Or maybe the middle child who is always trying to keep the peace. It’s very clear that he thinks highly of both of them regardless of the different directions they went in and the decisions that created those directions. I almost wish that Ichabod didn’t have a wife (she couldn’t have been a witch sister?) because I’d probably be shipping him with Jenny by now. Eh, who am I kidding? I’ll ship it anyway. Dump the wife! When this is all over Ichabod and Jenny can move to a lovely little war torn country somewhere and run a revolution together. You know, just regular date night type stuff.


The larger mystery unfolding is pretty neat, if not fairly standard, apocalypse stuff. Points for bringing in Moloch, I just hope he gets smarter. He’s obviously got a plan put together, but so far its been a big ole mess and he hasn't won any battles. Give the big bad somethin! Let a few demons get through! Have him be one step ahead of everyone. His hessian soldiers were the worst! They didn’t think taking the Key of Solomon to a secure location before doing the spell might be better? I don’t remember anything about the spell being specific to that location. Why not run off to anywhere to get that gate open. I can’t stand incompetent henchmen. (Also, you can get the Key of Solomon from Amazon for about 15 bucks! Duh. But seriously, you can, it’s where Supernatural gets most of it’s neat demon trap symbols from.)


As soon as they started talking about Solomon and his book, all I could think was “Call the Winchesters!” They’d be all over this. But, it looks like we’re going to get some awesome sister moments parallel to the broments of Supernatural. They have a great dynamic and I’m excited to get some ass kicking sisters in the paranormal world. Maybe I’ll have to a separate weekly post to cover the bro and sister angst of the two shows.


Sleepy Hollow was an early pick up for a second season this week as well. Good call. This might not land in my favorite genre shows list but it’s certainly one of the two best new shows this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment